Monday, January 27, 2014

Fifth Sunday:

Howdy there folks!
BOY O BOY what a week!!! It went SO fast, I can't believe Christmas was last week. Did ya get lots o presents? Did you GIVE lots o presents? Did you try a little harder to become more Christlike as a gift to Him?

I sure hope so. This week for everyone I knew and taught here in Hutch it was Charity, the pure love of Christ. Saturday night we got a call that our Mission President was no longer able to teach the "fifth lesson" in our ward and wow was that a blessing in disguise. We have four totally new missionaries here because this area used to be baptism CENTRAL but somehow the ward lost it's motivation for over a year, resulting in bitterness and laziness and bad attitudes. I don't blame them, there are so many things the adversary can do to damage a ward, especially if they do not work together in missionary-mindedness. So the four of us were asked to help the Mission Leader teach combined Sunday School.
Wow. We worked well together, the spirit was so strong, we talked of the sad number of 150 active members in a 600 member ward, and the cause being the "social" aspect of missionary work: the lack of fellowshipping. And so we taught them to love. Above all, to love each other and to love their less-actives. We read from John 15 on abiding in Christs love, and I highly recommend you read it. My favorite message that hit home for our ward was that we should not allow persecution to affect us. "Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also... But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me."
The prompting to read that from the Holy Ghost is one of the greatest miracles I have had in my life. So many members afterward came up, including our once discouraged Mission Leader, and said that the spirit and devotion has not felt that incredible for a LONG time, and they are all very excited to kick up their missionary efforts once again, in a new and stronger way.
I cannot describe the changes I've seen in Hutchinson already. My companion is so magnificent and our new Elders are so devoted, and I can see the Lord softening hearts daily, including one of  a member we visited who had not gone to church in thirty years... it was such a sacred experience talking with him.
The greatest gift although, was the moments I spent seeing my family and talking with them. I love them. Anyone in their lives are so lucky, really truly. They carry the light of Christ, a devotion to what they know will give them a greater joy than anything in this world. I learn so much from their example and feel comforted by their love. HOOHAH Murphys!
Hahaha, I just can't help but boast of their awesomeness, teehee. I love you all! You are all so awesome and even though I don't hear from you or write, I think about you and look forward to seeing you eventually!
Good luck with your New Year resolutions! Be sure to set a goal that will improve your missionary work, especially if it is something as difficult and magnificent as praying for more Charity :)

Love,
Sister Murphy Senior

No comments:

Post a Comment